Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Home Box

I remember some great HBO shows of the past, Larry Sanders, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Eastbound and Down..now we have three shows currently on Sunday nights....

True Blood....Lauryn got me into this show and right away it has the best opening credits of any show on TV. Great song. I find Anna Paquin kind of annoying but the acting on the show is overall pretty strong. My only knock on this show is that sometimes I feel as if they make up vampire "rules" in order to fill in the plot. Like they need to get from New York to L.A. in 20 minutes and all the sudden there is a line of dialogue like this, "you KNOW that vampires are capable of flying," a fact they neglected to mention for the first season and a half. I think season two is trying to play more on the good vs evil thing which has been done before.

Hung....I tried to watch the pilot and turned it off about half way. What a slow moving and boring show. The dialogue is so poor and obvious that when I laughed, I don't think it was the writer's intention. The acting is pretty crappy. With the Aaron Eckhart wannabe and the weird sister from Happiness as the pimp. She's a blind man's Andie Mcdowell. Awful show

Entourage...so far so good. What they are doing this season, which they failed to do in the past two, is develop the characters. Vince and his crew were stagnant caricatures for two seasons. Now with Turtle and Jamie Lynne Siegler, Ari working with that other agent dude. Even Lloyd moving up in the world. I don't know much about Hollywood, but I don't think Lloyd would stay so long with the same agency without promotion. He would have probably jumped ship to another agency by now. Good job so far.

Side note, on Showtime they have Nurse Jackie. It marks Edie Falco's return to pay cable drama. I liked this show for the first couple episodes but they are taking way to long to move the story. Also I have been to emergency rooms, and none of them have ever been as insane or staffed with quirky, funny folks. I like the subplot of Jackie dealing with addiction, but they have strayed away from that in the last couple episodes. Also her husband on this show kinda looks like her son. Poor casting. I guess I'll stick with it, but can't wait 'till the fall and the return of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Big Love

No comments:

Post a Comment